Monday, March 14, 2011

So Grateful

Okay, I know. I've been slacking...a lot. Not to mention the fact that so much has happened since my last post that I can't even touch on everything and give it all justice.

Update on the work situation: things have improved significantly since my last post. I had put so many procedures in place that have drastically improved my productivity and accountability. I started with creating my own personal website for school that contains links to all assignments in PDF format and information regarding what students are doing in my classes. Along with that, I also started with sending out weekly emails to parents when their child has a missing assignment. Then the parents are directed to my website where they can print off the missing assignment and get it completed and turned in. There were numerous parents who were extremely grateful when it came time for the next quarter's conferences. I think I won over quite a few people by that time. The coolest thing was hearing from many parents how they are so grateful for all my contributions and how they wished there were more teachers who do what I do.

Another cool thing? Meghan won student of the month for the month of February. At our school teachers nominate students in their classes based on the virtue that is emphasized for that particular month. Meghan was recognized for being compassionate. That wasn't too much of a surprise. When Meghan was celebrating her 100th day of school, she brought an extra collection of 100 items and volunteered to have a friend use it because they forgot to bring their items. The coolest thing was that the students of the month are recognized during lunch and given a special time in the limelight. Meghan really had a great day as it was her own special day. Unfortunately, I missed it. I missed Meghan's special lunch because I was in the hospital busy getting ready to have this little guy:

Robert Bradley came into our lives on February 22 at 10:22 pm. He weighed 7 lbs 7 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. He is named after Jason's dad, Robert, who died of cancer just two months before our wedding.

I was definitely ready for Robbie to make his grand entrance. As one who doesn't like being pregnant, I was looking forward to saying goodbye to being pregnant and hello to my new little one. I had gone to the doctor the day before where my midwife had stripped my membranes in hopes of getting my labor started. Unfortunately, it didn't do any more than make my night extremely uncomfortable as I was cramping all night long. The good news was that my midwife had scheduled me for an induction the next morning. After a long sleepless night, I was happy to get the show on the road and meet my little guy. Once settled in my "home" for the next few days, I got put on pitocin to start my labor.

I sat there and labored for what seemed like forever. The good thing was that Robbie was responding well to the induction, so my midwife saw no reason to speed things up and stress Robbie out any more than necessary. As a result of this relaxed pace, I didn't get to the point of needing to push Robbie out until about 10:00 that evening. By that time I was extremely hungry as I was not permitted to eat anything all day, I was exhausted from a long night the night before, and I was so excited to meet my baby.

Here's more pictures of our new little bundle of joy:

Mommy and baby meet after a long nine months of anticipation.


I was so happy. I actually had tears in my eyes as this picture was being taken. This moment was bittersweet as Robbie is our last baby.

Jason was pretty excited to finally have a boy. Someone to teach how to play baseball and enjoy all those fun boy things with.

Meghan and Audrey were so excited to meet their new little brother. We let Meghan out of school that day so she could enjoy this exciting time with us. I was so excited to introduce the girls to their brother. I dreamt about what this moment would be like my entire pregnancy.

Robbie the morning after he was born. He looks like he was thinking about something important.

I just love this picture. No, I'm not a proud momma or anything, am I?

Robbie getting ready to go home.

Robbie's first bath at home. This was several days after we got back home, but I had to add it. He's so cute.

I'm really enjoying this time off with Robbie. I worked so hard for it. It was hard getting things prepared for my maternity leave as I had to make sure things were in order, copies were made, and my sub was chosen and informed on all the ins and outs of what I do for my kids. I still have about three more weeks left and I am going to savor every last minute of it. Thankfully when I return I will only have 7 weeks until school is out for the summer and then I can enjoy more time off. The other good thing is that the last month goes by so quickly that it won't seem like that long before I am off again for the summer. What a year this has been! God has been so good to us, and I am grateful for every second of it.

No comments: